Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Monday, July 26, 2004

Day One of my tour of Barcelona

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I was browsing the lanuage-exchange ads for someone to practice my Spanish with and in exchange for that I would help that person with his/her English.

I found someone here from Barcelona that needed immediate help with his English because he would be going to Holland in 2 days. In exchange for me Speaking only English with him and helping him when he made mistakes, he took me on a little tour of Barcelona. He also paid me a little bit of money and paid for my soda at the restaurant. So, basically I got paid to go on a personalized tour.

I loved every minute of it. He took me to some famous places in Barcelona. However, he also took me through the backroads and see things most tourists don't get to see. He also gave me a little history lesson. I NEVER would have discovered these things on my own, even if I paid a guide to show me around. However, the thing I am most grateful for is that he introduced me to my new favorite spot which I will describe in detail later. So Xavi if you are reading this, THANK YOU !!

Its just too bad that I didn't take pictures of everything we saw.

We met in front of the University. (I don't exactly remember the order in which we did things). We walked through Las Ramblas. He took me through Barcelona's old Market, and through a few streets. Through these streets I saw the Arabic/Punjabi communities. Since I can't go to the Middle East (I am American and female) I felt this was close enough. I saw these little stores with the most beautiful jewelry and outfits for bellydancing. I also stopped into a store with tons of Arabic music. While I was there, there was some music with this guy belting his heart out in Arabic. Loved it. I also saw a store selling colorful cushions to sit on, traditional tea sets, slippers, beautiful cloths................. I swear, if I had money and a nice luggage allowance I woulda blown it all on these stores. When I get home and get an actual  CAREER I am gonna decorate my house to make it fit for a Sultan and dance for my guests while they sip mint tea. Okay, moving along.......................

We also ended up back on Las Ramblas if I remember correctly. There I saw 2 bellydancers performing. They stood still until someone dropped a coin into the bucket. Then they did a 1 minute dance. I mean, it was alright. They look like they are in the midst of taking lessons. They were doing the proper techniques, they just weren't putting enough spirit into it and dancing with as much passion.

Las Ramblas is full of live statues and performers that are looking for a little money. People can be anything they want and act it out. But I will get into that later. Trust me, I will................

I am currently broke right now (surprise surprise). I was a little jealous that they thought of it first and that they were up there performing and I wasn't. I could be out making some money while I am improving my resume and looking for a job. But at the same time, I left my costume in the US, and it is hot as Satan's asscrack here.(I stole that expression btw) I would be sweating puddles on my expensive costume. I am not worried about my personal safety on these streets, but I am worried that someone would steal my money while I turn my back dancing. PLUS, I don't want any nasty offers. So, my hands are tied and I can't really dance. I just miss dancing and performing for an appreciative audience. Okay, enough of that.............

After seeing the dancers we went to the end of Las Ramblas which was the beginning of Port Vell, where there is a Statue of Christopher Columbus. I got a little interesting history lesson then. Xavi told me that Columbus went directly to the queen to get money to discover the Americas. He also told me that queen gave him a lot of money because they were having an affair and he was doing her some sexual favors. So therefore the good ole' USA is a love child of Columbus and the queen of Spain. I dunno if I really wanna believe this, but at the same time I know our school system in the USA would never tell children about the affair between Columbus and the queen. Moving along..............

Here is a summary of my pictures................     1.) Just a pic of one of the old streets in Barcelona. 2.) Another pic of the streets where people can't  afford a dryer and have to hang their clothes  3.) A pic of one of the streets. 4&5.) Me at Port Vell. 6.) Me enjoying my tour  7&8.) Placa Reil  9.) Me in front of the oldest restaurant in Barcelona.           

#10- 14.) Sant Felip Neri Square. This is my favorite new spot and I will take up a whole entry for this later.                    

 

 

No comments: