Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Monday, December 3, 2007

A 95 Year Old Blogging Woman

http://www.amis95.blogspot.com/

I was reading the news when I learned that a 95 year old woman in Spain has a blog. She got the blog because she said that her "stingy" grandson gave it to her for her 95th birthday. Okay, I lived in Spain once, and she is right about Spanish men, for the most part at least. When I was living there many of the men I met stilled lived with their parents well into their thirties. On top of that, they were very stingy. Good luck in getting them to even buy you a drink sometimes.

Seriously, what kind of grandson gets his grandmother a blog for her birthday ?? My Austrian grandma never communicated through e-mail and it took her forever to get a cellphone. My other grandma here in California uses e-mail but I am not sure how she would react if she was given a blog.

But it turns out that this was one of the best gifts he could've given her. Her blog has been very popular and she has received letters from all over the world. She said that she feels that the elderly are a forgotten people. She also said that with her blog people are writing to her and asking her for advice and asking her about life when she was young. She said that people really value her opinion.

Her blog is in Spanish, but I heard that you can translate it into English through Google. I need practice reading in Spanish so this would be good for me. I read in the news that she talks a lot about about the Spanish Civil War, and about the differences between men back then and men now in how they treat women. I really look forward to reading more about her life. And I hope that you will too.

I really love hearing the elderly talk about their pasts. Here in America I feel like they are tossed to the side, and that their opinions are less valued. One thing that really bugs me is when I am serving an eldely is when their children talk for them, even though I am clearly not talking to them. I also dislike it when an elderly person is trying to speak to me and their child downplays what the person is saying. Luckily I don't see that too often.

My grandpa lived to be 92. I loved hearing him retell his stories and I saved his letters that he wrote, telling his life story. If it weren't for him, I really wouldn't have been able to learn about my Russian great-grand parents that immigrated through Ellis Island.

I also love hearing my grandma here in California talk about hermother, my great- grandma. I also got to hear her retell her stories about volunteering for the Red Cross back in the day.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the journal. I will also post it on my journal collection to the side.

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That will probably be me when I'm 95. LOL