Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Saturday, June 23, 2007

It's Over

Hello Everyone,

My struggle for becoming a Customs and Protection Officer is officially over. I finally got all of my examinations/evaluations taken care of. I saw the psychologist and got evaluated in addition to seeing the cardiologist yesterday. They both were going to write a promising report.

I even passed my Video Based Test.

Unfortunately I got a letter in the mail yesterday from DHS stating that I don't meet their residency requirement. I have to have resided in the US for three years straight prior to applying for the position. And because I lived in Spain for a year, they are telling me that I am no longer qualified. (I came back from Spain 2 years ago)

That is the dumbest reason ever. This department is looking for people, especially women. I knew I had a had it hard in the beginning because I had to get medically cleared by four doctors. And I stepped up to the plate because I really wanted the job. I got the reports. And the ONLY reason that I am not qualified is because I was outside the US living abroad. Mind you, I am a US Citizen and have lived here in CA my entire life.

I filled out the SF 86 in May. They had over a month to tell me that I wasn't qualified and yet they waited until I paid about a thousand dollars and went through hell just to get my medical records and reports written. Yet they waited that long.

So let me repeat it again. I am female (they are especially looking to hire females), I haven't gotten arrested or used drugs, I am educated, I am bilingual, I am healthy and got cleared, I was willing to move all the way to San Diego for the job, and it was my dream job. And at the end they decided at the last minute that I wasn't qualified because I wasn't in the United States for three years straight before applying for the job. (Despite the fact that it is my right to travel)

They have dumb rules for weeding out applicants. No wonder they are always looking for new applicants. Now that this happened to me, I am willing to bet that a lot of people that applied and didn't get the job were actually qualified.

There is a reason they have problems filling the position. I did want this position and I really tried. However, I have never felt more judged than when I went through this process. They have put me through hell because I saw the doctors for minor occurances in the past and they made me pay for all the procedures and records. And on top of that I am disqualified because I traveled outside the US for a while. (They didn't state that on their website).

Well, at least I can put this to rest. I knew that it probably was not going to happen to me. But never did I expect it to be over for me for traveling outside the US.

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((Sandra))), they should have told you upfront before you applied, but know in your heart that you gave it your all. No regrets. No looking back.

Anonymous said...

Have you condidered writing, and calling, whoever represents you in congress?  They make exceptions all the time for others. Tell them what you went thru etc. If all else fails, can you apply again in a year?