Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Advice

Hello there my lovelies,

A few weeks ago I went to my friend's baby shower. And we each had to write down advice to her on a piece of paper. At the end the papers were made into a book so that she can refer to it after the babies (she's having twins) are born.

I don't have children so all I can do it reflect on how I was raised and talk about what worked for me.

My advice to her was to teach her children about a good diet early and not have a lot of junk food in the house. I grew up with almost no junk food in the house. Of course I always bought candy at school and got cake and stuff from school. That's to be expected. But at least when I got home I was eating healthy.

Now that I am on my own and shopping for myself, I buy healthy stuff. It's so ingrained in my brain. I still eat a lot of chocolate. I still buy stuff from the vending machines at work. I still go to Starbucks (LOVE that place). However, when I am lounging around at home with nothing to do, there isn't a pizza or ice cream within my reach. I think a lot of people run into problems by having easy access to junk food in the house.

Another thing that my folks did was forbid sodas and get me active at an early age. They signed me up for martial arts classes when I was five. When I misbehaved, they punished me with pushups or running. I'm not always disciplined about working out, but at least I have that loud voice yelling at me

Adults that were never encouraged to exercise as kids are at a real disadvantage. It is that much harder for them to build up stamina, get used to a work out routine or activity and stick to it. It's much easier for a person if they learned these habits as a kid.

Anyway, I will step off the soapbox....................for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your idea or maybe your parents idea for misbehavior. Running a few blocks is much better than a time out.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! That was very smart of you to think of your childhood and what worked on you!!! Your advice about junk food and exercise was probably something that other people didnt think of. Hugz, Win =.)