Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Long update after a week.

Hello there my lovelies,

I guess I've been in the habit of updating only once a week. I used to update a lot more. I wanna update more, but I've been really tired lately.

The immigration debate is still going strong in the media. In fact, I am watching an heated argument about it on KQED.

I do think that a fence should be built around our border and that there should be more border patrol agents guarding our borders. It won't solve our problems, but it's a start. I don't necessarily feel that amnesty should be immediately granted to the millions of people that are here illegally. But I do think that the "illegals" that have been here for a while that have been living like upstanding citizens (working and paying taxes, learning our language) should finally get their chance at becoming citizens.

I am happy about the bill that makes English our national, unifying language. The critics claim that it's a racist bill aimed at Hispanics, but I think the critics are full of shit. No where does that bill state that people can't speak their native languages at home, nor have gatherings in their own languages. It just states that English is our national language. I have been a firm believer that people that come to the U.S should learn English. Nothing irritates me more when foreigners get upset at me for not understanding them. I don't mind speaking Spanish if I am asked politely, but I shouldn't have to if I don't want to. When I went to Austria, I learned German. And when I went to Spain I learned Spanish. And if I travel to another country for an extended period of time, I will learn that language as well. Language is the key to understanding the culture and people.

Right now I am watching Rick Steve's Europe show. Last weekend he went to Gibraltar and took a ferry to Tangiers, Morrocco. This weekend he is touring Denmark.

I really miss traveling. I love the United States, and this is my home. But I still want to get out and see the world and learn more languages. The only thing that is holding me back right now is my huge debt from school. Otherwise I would be out and about. And believe me, the debt isn't going away soon on my shitty salary. Not only that, but I want to get lasik surgery on my eyes and that isn't cheap. But I am tired of wearing glasses. I've been so self concious about it. I have gotten a lot of comments on my eyes, and I am tired of hiding behind glasses and feeling like the ugly duckling.

I am also in the middle of rearranging my room. I bought a new bookshelf. I am also trying to get rid of a lot of stuff that I need such as old clothes and old paperwork that I don't have to keep anymore. I want to be clutter free.

Anyways, I am done for now. But, I will be back.

Ciao Ciao.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Post... but one thing's for sure, you're not the ugly duckling... you're the cutest duckling.

Anonymous said...

Yea, traveling is soo much fun. I plan to do that in the near future. sometimes life gets in the way and you have no time to make updates. I wish, I made more updates to my journal...but sometimes I'm so tired that I just go to bed or don't have the energy to write.
elisa