Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Monday, April 21, 2008

I saw my first duck mating ritual aka a Duck F*ck !

 

I swiped the above picture from Google images. No copyright infringement intended.

So, anyway, I have made it this far in my life with never seeing ducks mate.In fact, I am ashamed to say that until today, I didn't even know how ducks reproduced. But upon doing a little research here on the web, I did learn that the male Mallards aka drakes do in fact have penises. Corkscrew penises. Yikes !

 As I was leaving school campus I encountered a small crowd with their camera phones out all aimed at the ducks having a crazy romp in the bushes. It was mayhem. There were two males chasing after a female. They quickly moved from the bushes to under the trees.

We were all used to seeing the ducks waddling calmly across campus quacking, wiggling their tails a little, sleeping, wading in the water fountains. But today, these creatures turned into raging sex monsters. QUACK ! QUACK ! QUACK ! QUACK ! They were loudly quacking, wings were flapping crazy, and each male fought each other to mount the female. Then they would each take a turn and pin her neck down while on top of her. Sometimes both males got on top of the female at the same time. One male would pin her down and then the other male would position himself on top of the other male.

Me being a newbie to all of this, I was shocked. It looked like the poor female was getting gangbanged ! All of us in the crowd felt sorry for the female. But upon doing a little research realized that ducks have forced mating rituals. It's a part of nature. I know it doesn't happen that way for humans, and forced sex is considered to be wrong in the human world, but hey, the ducks seem to like this.

Anyway, below is the article that explained things a little better for me. This is for you, in case you are like me and too embarrassed to admit that you don't really know how ducks get in on. Oh, the part about the corkscrew penises isn't in this article. I forgot which article I got it from.

In any case, I hope you learned something new today...............

 

Mating Mallards
<FONTFACE="TIMES size="2" color="#000000" Roman? New>Mating Mallards   |   Branta Canadensis   |   Killdeer   |   Doe Deer & Turkey Decoy   |   Coyote and Antelope
<!--BODY{scrollbar-face-color:#FF8000;scrollbar-arrow-color:black;scrollbar-track-color:#ffcc80;scrollbar-3dlight-color:#ffffcc;}-->


 

Back to Wildlife
by Craig Kimble


 


 

While walking my dog one spring evening just before sunset, a sound caught my attention. Upon investigation I found two Mallard drakes trying to mate with a single hen. The three ducks would flit up into the air only to land a moment later at the place they began. The drakes grunted a gravely quack like I most always hear but the hens' sound was almost a gargle, completely different than her normal quack. For a reason I could not detect, one drake won out and mated with the hen. This was done in the grass with the drake positioned on the hens back shaking its tail feathers for a few seconds while the hen walked in a forward motion. The whole of this affair took less than three minutes. I have read that mating usually takes placeon the water and that ducks normally pair up in the fall so what I witnessed may have been abnormal behavior.  I must also add that my dog Molly and I were standing no more than 30 feet from this event and the ducks seemed unconcerned.


 

UPDATE: After doing a little more research, though I couldn't find much, I have found that Mallards are known to participate in what is called "Forced Mating". Apparently one or more drakes force themselves on a hen, sometimes violently. The sound that I heard from the hen could be one of distress although the written description of the "Inciting call" is similar to what I heard. Often the hen is already Incubating eggs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about her liking it... Sounds as if she needs a duck lawyer. LOL