Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Madness

Hello All,

Okay, so tomorrow is Election Day. I am not looking forward to it, because I will be working as an Election Officer. I will be there from 6am till probably at least 10pm at night. I know that the polls close at 8pm. I also know that a huge turnout is to be expected.

I can't wait until this is over. I live in the Bay Area where being liberal is hip and where many people think that if you don't think like they do that they have the right to berate you for not thinking like them. God forbid if you don't think that Obama is the new hope of our country. You know what I don't like ? All this blind faith in one presidential candidate with not much experience. People actually thinking that he is our answer to all of our problems. I don't think that ANY candidate could solve our problems that we've gotten ourselves into. Not Obama and not McCain. And no matter who we get, that person isn't going to make good on all of his promises. I don't think it's ever happened, nor will it. I don't think any candidate could pull us out of this recession AND improve our health care AND improve our god-awful education system without increasing our taxes.

I am very liberal in some respects, but still conservative in others. Basically, I am still trying to figure out what I really believe in. I am on a search for more information about certain issues. I like to believe that I have an open mind and get different points of view before I arrive at a decision.

I listen to Obama supporters and McCain supporters without question. But I hate it when Obama supporters criticize me for even questioning Obama. One of my coworkers was trying to do reverse psychology on me and tell me "Fine, I think you should just vote for McCain." Haha ! I calmly told him that he as an Obama supporter wouldn't really want me to vote for McCain. I also told him that as a citizen it's my right to get out there and vote for whomever the hell I want, just like he hauled his ass out to vote, and I didn't say anything about his choice in candidate. He was trying to tell me that he did his homework and all his research, blah blah blah. He also told me that I was being lazy for waiting until election day to vote. Haha. I told him that I want to take everything in before I cast my vote on election day. I let him talk and talk. But really, how informed are we really ? Watching the news really doesn't count in my opinion. I think that the media is controlled by a handful. I think that relying only on the media is dangerous and that one shouldn't let the media think for them. I think the way to really know your stuff is to read the fine print in the voter guide, as well as the news as well as to reading up on issues that lead up to putting the proposition on the ballot.

Do I really think that I am fully informed on most of these issues ? Not really. And I feel that many voters aren't either. All I can do is just try to keep searching for answers. My legal classes certainly help.

Prop 8 is on the ballot here in California. Voting yes on Prop 8 means that gay marriage would be banned. This is such a hot button here in CA. At first I saw way more signs out telling people to vote "no." But starting this weekend, so many people that want to ban it are out on the streets and encouraging people to vote to ban it. Really interesting issue. I can't wait to see how this plays out. My prediction is that the proposition will probably pass. And if it does, I bet injunctions in court will be filed the very next morning to stop it. I think that the courts will strike this proposition down if it passes. Especially since the Supreme Court here in CA allowed for gay marriage this year under the Equal Protection Clause. My guess is that other groups wouldn't want to even question the Equal Protection Clause. That would be a slippery slope into other groups of people such as minorities and religions, who probably don't want their rights questioned. I think that gay marriage is here to stay. But we shall see.

I also have been getting a laugh at all the commercials on our propositions here in CA. The commercials really try to pull on your heart strings. Especially on adverts for Prop 8. Both sides are really trying to yank at your heart strings.

Anywho, I am done for now. Time to go finish my homework. I also have to fill out my absentee ballot so I can hand it in tomorrow.

Got luck out there y'all, for whomever and whatever you voted for. Get out there and make your vote count.

2 comments:

Winivere said...

I hear ya! LOL... For WV, go to *ashboar*, settings,comments: NO for WV, save.
XX

Winivere said...

Hey, S! Waiting to hear all about it! You see any cute guys at the polls?!!!!
XX