Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Monday, March 1, 2010

I can check one off my bucket list !


Hello There My Little Seashells,

So........... I finally did it ! I finally skydived ! Some of life's greatest pleasures happen in the span of seconds and skydiving is one of those things. It was definitely a thrill I was looking for. I went with my roommate and his friend. His friend was there for moral support and we both jumped out of the same plane. And landed on the beach. The weather was perfect, and I landed barefoot in the sand.

You know how you watch other people do it and the whole experience is romanticized ? People are smiling, they are showing you in slow motion ? And you are watching it with music ? It's completely different when you are in that plane and about to jump. It wasn't so idyllic then. There was no soundtrack, just the sound of the motor, and the gust of cold wind in your face when the door is opened.

We did get off to a rough start. We took two runs. On the first plane ride, as we were in the air my roommate noticed that gas was flying out of the tank. I couldn't really see it, but you could definitely smell it. I later heard that the instructors looked distressed. But from where I was sitting you really couldn't see it so at the time I wasn't worried. They landed the plane and fixed the problem, and we went up again.

The view was absolutely beautiful. It was a clear day, and I could see the farms, and then the beach. The ocean from 10,000 feet was something else. While it was beautiful, I couldn't take it all in, as I realized that I also was about to jump and I just wanted to get it over with. I just wanted to finally do it, something I've been thinking about for the past ten years.

The time finally came, and they opened the door. The air was so effing cold. But it didn't matter, because I swear to God that when you are freefalling, the last thing on your mind is how cold you are. Your adrenaline really does kick in and you don't realize the temperature.

Anyway, it was my turn to jump, and I did not look down. I was concentrating on my instructor's directions and then we jumped. We jumped off the plane and the real falling began. I am not gonna lie. I wanted to shit my pants. I screamed like I've never screamed before and did not stop until the parachute opened.

Some people describe it as flying. I disagree. I felt nothing like a bird. I felt like a rock falling and there was no way I was going to flap my wings to get out of it. It caught me off guard because for my whole life my feet have been planted on the ground. Now I was in the air, and I felt like something was very wrong. It was definitely counterintuitive.

But at the same time, it was very thrilling. Then all of a sudden, the instructor opens your chute and you are going back up in the air for a couple of more seconds. I spent most of that time floating in the air processing the freefall. But the view was so beautiful. We were above the ocean. That is definitely a plus of living in California. In fact, I landed on the same beach Ashleigh and I walked on. She used to live so close. Last year when we were frolicking in the sand I never imagined I would skydive onto it.

It all happened so fast, and I think I would do it again. Actually, I would definitely do it again. I don't have any pictures, but I did get it on DVD. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to smile most of the time. The interesting thing was when my parents skydived 18 years ago, another camera man would have to be there to capture it.  On my trip, The tandem instructor filmed us himself. He ended up doing 8 jumps that day. The people that jumped after us were so nice and even hugged us before we jumped and were there to watch the DVDs with us.

Anyways loves, that is the experience in a nutshell. I hope you all get a chance to try it. If you ever come out to California, I will jump with you, or at the very least offer you moral support.

Okay, besitos !

34 comments:

x said...

AWESOME! I am so glad you made this happen for YOU. I am afraid of heights, so this is something I will pass on. I need to think of some of my own bucket list items. Your little seashell. -Pip

Senorita said...

Pipster,

Some people who are afraid of heights actually enjoy the skydiving experience. You are so high up in the air that it doesn't matter anymore.

I hope you come up with a bucket list though.

Elliott said...

That's wicked cool. (And I'd think gasoline leaking from the plane would be the PERFECT time to learn to jump from one...)

Bathwater said...

Good for you it sounds like you had a good time next time you will go alone :).

PorkStar said...

I was a pilot and i never had problems flying or performing emergency maneouvers and such.. but in a place other than a plane, sitting down, i am scared of heights.. REALLY fucking much.

So jumping i dont think wil be in my near future, especially after hearing you yesterday telling me all about it... but kuddos to you dear for being so brave!!

Unknown said...

wow you brave brave woman.

KristinFilut said...

That is so amazing! I am so excited for you! Congratulations!

Mike Minzes said...

So you made the jump! Congrats.

You have big ba!!s too! I would N E V E R do that. I'm a wussie. HA

mac said...

Outfuckingstanding!

You are a brave lady :-)

No, not the jumping part, though that is crazy ballsy. I'm impressed with your candor in admittingthat it was "shit your pants" frightening.

I do like that adrenaline rush that you mention. I might just suit up myself someday.

Bev said...

SUPER COOL! I'm so impressed, girl. Go you! And yes, next time I come to Cali you and I are totally meeting up!

JStar said...

Thats GREAT! I could never have the courage

Big Mark 243 said...

The feeling that you did something that challenged yourself is prolly more important than all the romanticized notions that come with skydiving.

As to listening to your instructor... that is what I remember about rappelling out of helicopters... not being gung ho, but making sure that I followed instructions so that I would splat on the ground!!

It will be 'romantic' the next time... esp. if you are in a relationship and go with a partner!

dadshouse said...

I will never skydive, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading that account! You rock!!

Anonymous said...

Shhh, I think you need to come over to my house and bump those hips, I like those pics. ;)

Deine Mutter said...

Ich bin halt froh, dass Du es ueberlebt hast! Und auch froh, dass deine Unterhose noch sauber ist ;)

Ich habe ja damals als ich Fallschirmspringen war, auch geschrien wie am Spiess, habe aber meine Augen immer zu gehabt und nur gebruellt, und nachher war mir 3 Tage lang schlecht, kannst Dich noch erinnern?

Bussi
Mutti

Candace Rae's Life said...

YAY! I've gone too...and it was so exhilarating! Would definitely do again, but just so glad to have done it at least once! GOod for yoU!

Red Shoes said...

YOU ARE THE BOMB!!!!! YOU ARE SO COOL!!!!! YOU GO, GIRL!!!!!

~shoes~

Choleesa said...

so awesome. Im jealous, I would love to do it, but I just dont have the balls.
Good for you !!

Anonymous said...

Way to go rockstar! I'm so glad it was such an incredible experience for you.

Danielle said...

Wow, I am jealous. I am not sure I could muster the courage to do it, but I always imagine it would be a thrill.

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you! And I am glad that you landed safely :)

Secretia

mac said...

Oh my gosh!
I just stumbled across this, and thought about , umm, well, you know ;-)

I'm not sure what it's about, but it's funny...and oddly topical?

Anonymous said...

Wow, sweetie! You're so brave! I'm too chicken to try something like that. I'm impressed!

You go girl!

FierySaggGirl said...

Señorita fire falling from the sky and landing on her feet! Things are looking up! Awesome!!!

Memphis said...

That sounds like a blast! I'd love to come out and jump with you.

Jimmy's Journal said...

I've done some strange and exciting things in my time but sky diving ranks just above being kicked in the balls by a mule.

I was never afraid of heights as a kid and climbed trees and even mountains. Then again, I never feared mules before either.

Jimmy

SweetAngelAsh17 said...

I can't believe you did it! I would have shit/peed my pants, no doubt about it. Or cried the whole time lol.

I agree with you Porky!

@Mark - I will not skydive with my bf unless he's promising a marriage proposal when we landed :)

Ileana said...

Wow, I could feel my heart in my throat the whole time I was reading this post! You are one brave chica, Chica!

I would NEVER willingly jump out of a plane, but I'm glad you made it and landed in the soft sand. Thank GOD!!

PS - I'd love to check out that DVD sometime.

Pesto Sauce said...

Man...u had the guts to do something I could never dare in my entire life. I am too scared of all adventure sports and even something basic as tree climbing is beyond me

Just telling it like it is said...

I'm sooo proud of you!! That is a major accomplishment..remember in the days of WW 2 men were jumping blindly at night...so it kind of all puts it in praspective of just how much of a accomplishment it is...I beleive that you can do anything you put your mind too....
Anything beautiful...anything!

Heff said...

Apparently, you have bigger balls than me.

Mike said...

Very cool and congrats. Yeah from friends that have done it they say the first time is over way too quickly to fully enjoy it.

Organic Meatbag said...

This is beyond cool, S! You have bigger balls than me for doing this (don't worry, I don't think you really have fleshy balls...hahaha)...how exhilarating that must have been! I'm proud of you for facing the challenge! You were no doubt the sexiest skydiver of all time! Woooo!

Myra said...

OMG...what an exciting thing to do!!! Your description made me feel the rush (without having to jump out of a plane!) Kudos to you for having the balls to do it!!