Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Sunday, July 18, 2004

Another post after a gazillion tries !!!

Hello Everyone,

 

Guess what ?? I finally wisened up a bit !!!  I DID type a couple of these blog entries a few days ago. But they are not visible because AOL wouldn’t LET me post them. So I decided to paste it to word and save it to a disk. But the computer at the internet café I was at prohibited me from using a disk, so I ended up just forgetting about it. NOW I am saving my blogs on a disk from my comp at home and just transferring them when I go online at the café. Okay, enough talk about that for now.

 

I have so much to talk about. First of all, I found out that I got an A on my Marketing Management course from my last semester. My professor FINALLY posted the damn grade !!! It’s about time. I thought grades were due a month ago. This means that I had a 3.4 GPA for the last semester. Overall I have a 3.2 GPA. Not too shabby, I say. Now all I have to do is wait for my diploma to be sent through the mail.

 

I am on my last week of this TEFL course. I finally turned in our biggest project on Wednesday. That was a relief !!  On Thursday the teacher was going over some grammar points and I swear almost NONE of us were listening. We were all burned out from the big project from the night before.

 

Yesterday one of the teachers was telling us about how to go about finding an ESL job after the course is over. It put me in such a bad mood. He was going into all the contract details and about how some places can rip us off. Basically language schools are a money-making business and the directors there will sometimes do what they can to pay their teachers as little as possible. He also told us about what the job situations will be like in various countries. It can be hard if youare a European citizen. It’s twice as bad if you’re an American citizen.The teacher told us that it was possible to find work and that many people do. But then again, he told us not to expect much. Gee thanks, buddy.  I mean, I knew most of that before I came here. But now that I am IN Spain and am broke and have to make decisions, it’s all the more real to me.

 

At that moment, I just wondered what the hell I got myself into. Was coming here and getting myself deeper into debt worth it ? Maybe my plan won’t work out after all. Could I be at home pursuing a career where I have job security and get paid more? I love this country to pieces, but I just spent 4 years of my life pursuing a business degree at a university and have a fat student loan bill to prove it. I am educated. I am tired of being broke. English teachers don’t get a whole lot of respect here. It’s fuckin’ ridiculous. Sorry Mom if you’re reading this.

 

But on the other hand, I didn’t get into this to become a teacher. I signed up for this because I saw it as a way for me to stay in the country, make money and learn Spanish. I also want to go to China and learn Chinese.( By the way, I thought things would be better in China, but I learned they aren’t)  I am doing all of this so I can do business better with people. But from where I am at right now, it looks like I have a looooong way to go.

 

Anyways, I better get back to studying. I have a fat exam tommorow. I also need to work on my resume. Here in Europe it´s called a CV (Latin for God knows what). I didn´t know what the teacher meant when he told us to work on our CVs.

 

I also forgot to mention that I am being taught by British people. And though we can understand each other, there are so many different expressions. And what may sound like "Improper English" to Americans, may in fact be correct to the British.

 

Anyways, I really better go now.

 

Ciao.

No comments: