Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Updates

Hello There My Lovelies,

Okay, so the end of the month is a couple of days away and I said that I would make this journal private. I think I may keep it public for an additional week or two. If you want to read my journal and I don't know you, please let me know. I will add everyone that asks. When it is private there will be a screen popping up asking for your screenname and password. If you don't have an AOL screenname and password you can get one for free. Okay, moving along.................

 I got my case briefs back and I got an A-. I would've gotten a couple of more points if I didn't make a couple of careless mistakes. But I was just happy that I got a decent grade and that the hardest assignment is over.

We also watched a film in class called "Separate But Equal". It was about the Brown v. Board of Education case decided by the Supreme Court that made segregation illegal. The film was a little on the boring side, but I still liked it. Thurgood Marshall who was the attorney for the NAACP eventually became an Associate Supreme Court Justice. It was interesting hearing the legal arguments on both sides. The legal arguments of why segregation should not be outlawed and why it actually was of benefit to the black community was certainly interesting to listen to. It's one thing when people are just plain racist because they are ignorant or because they grew up with racist views and nothing else. It's another thing when educated people and people in the government come up with these compicated theories, try and use biology or legal reasoning to accomodate their racist views. I believe that this also happened in Nazi Germany and this was the reason the Holocaust happened.

Today we are taught to tolerate and accept people of other cultures but back then it was the law to discriminate and therefore socially acceptable. If we grew up back then during the era of Jim Crow, how many of us would really be accepting of other cultures ? Would we know the difference ? Would we accept others that don't look like us as equal ? That is a hard question to ask, but can you ask yourself that question and answer it honestly ? I know that if I were living back then, I don't know what kinda of person I would've been, or what I would've done. That is a scary thought alone.

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the rule! Love one another! xx