Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Not all caulks are made equally..............



Hello There My Little Baby Foxes,

As you know, I like to educate my readers about a variety of topics. Last week I covered nature and talked about birds. I didn't realize that all of you are so receptive to learning. It just warms the cockles of my heart.

Oh, and speaking of cockles, today I would like to talk about something that may be useful to you homeowners out there. Yes, I would like to talk about caulk.

You see my little helpless furballs, I wouldn't ever want to hear about you being stuck with insects crawling through small cracks in your house, or that you have mildew problems in your tub.

When you have such problems, the answer is in the caulk ! Especially since it's so cheap and easy to use. You could find caulk just about anywhere. Ask my friend Ashleigh for example, as she works at Home Depot.

Anyway, all this information can be so overwhelming at first. And I understand. So I've narrowed it down to a few memorable points................

1.) Caulk can be used to seal cracks and plug holes. So just stick your tube in the crack and fill it with caulk. But don't just fill it up. What you want to do is apply smooth little beads and then smooth them out with your fingers.

2.) Not all caulks are created equally. Not only do they have different purposes, but they come in different colors as well. Like if your bathroom tiles are black, you'd be asking the sales person to help you locate some black caulk. Or if your salesperson isn't helpful, you could always knock on your neighbor's door.

3.) Dear readers because there are many different types of caulk out there for different purposes, I thought I would narrow it down to a few just to throw some names out there: Painter's caulk, acrylic latex and 100% silicone. Just look at the package closely to determine if you picked out the right caulk for the job or not.

4.) Applying caulk can be messy, especially for the inexperienced. It may be easier to use a caulking gun. However, I understand if you are in a rush and just want to get it over with. Anyway, as I was saying, it can get messy. Like if you are straigtening out a bead, you may get some excess caulk on your fingers. Because caulk is so sticky, you can't just wipe it off your fingers. A dirty film may appear on your fingers and smear on things you touch. Also, while you are working on your project, be sure to keep your fingers away from your face, as you wouldn't want to end up getting caulk in your mouth.

5.) I don't really know what to recommend to you, as we all have different needs. But I can say that I would probably go for the Power Grab in the blue tubing on the left.

6.) I would recommend that you buy a large tube of caulk. I think that the caulks featured are about probably about 12 inches long and hold 14 ounces. But if you're broke and can't afford a sizeable amount, that's okay too. Lucky for me, I have small hands, so when I hold the tube, it will seem bigger. Thus, creating the illusion that I have enough to last for the entire project.




P.S: You wouldn't believe how easy it was to write this. It just all flowed out so easy (pun not intended). If you don't believe me, you should read the little tutorial on the Lowes website. I couldn't believe how suggestive it was. I also thought it was interesting that a woman was narrating the video tutorial on how to properly apply caulk. I guess it would be bad for sales if men had to listen to other dudes say "caulk" a million times.



15 comments:

SweetAngelAsh17 said...

I'm touched and honored to be mentioned in this post, as I am always dealing with caulk at my job. It always needs to be refilled ;)

I go to the paint department if I'm looking for colored caulk....I usually find Paint Boy straitening the caulk

mac said...

When my son was about six, I put a new sink in our kitchen. My Mom and Dad had come over, so Pops could help me with the sink.

It was a big. I needed help getting it to stay in place while I caulked it. Dad held it down while I caulked it. Just a quickie.

As the double entendres and Puns flew about while we were caulikng together, I heard my son, in the other room, tell his Grandma " Mamaw, listen to my dad and grandpaw. They're saying ba-a-d words"
We still laugh about our caulk :-)

Diva's Thoughts said...

Caulk scares me.

Slyde said...

the entire time i was reading this, all i could think of was the snl "cork" sketch... i wish i had the link here to share it.

funny stuff!

Frequent Traveler said...

The contractor just used some in my shower two days ago, Who knew caulks were such a common and well-used item ? (lol)

Senorita said...

Annie, thanks for sharing. Your contractor sounds very helpful. It is quite common for there to be a lot of caulk in the bathroom.

Big Mark 243 said...

Dag ... yet another woman who knows more about home repair than I do ..!

Liam said...

I think i'm loosing my marbles or something. But I felt that the whole post had sexual connotation to it

Senorita said...

Liam,

Why does your mind always have to be in the gutter ?

What's wrong with a woman writing about a little home improvement ?

Liam said...

Well you know me. Gutter mind they call me.

Wer sonst! said...

It took me a while to catch on to that - almost had to ask you! But since I know you very well, and I knew you didn't just take up home improvements, I started actually saying it out loud and within minutes I got it, lol.

Jimmy's Journal said...

I have never been able to figure out exactly in what part of the heart the cockles lie....

Jimmy

Senorita said...

Mutti,

I wish I could've been a fly in the wall to witness you saying "caulk" out loud whilst reading the screen. That alone cracks me up. And for that I thank you.

*Juliette* said...

Well, I never thought I'd say this, but I think I've had my fill of caulk for today!

Unknown said...

it's a great motto as well..

Hell, Just Caulk it!