Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Sunday, March 21, 2004

The Pianist With Hottie Adrien Brody

Last night I watched The Pianist. The movie deserved every award it got. In fact, it should have won in every category that it was nominated for. The director Roman Polanski was VERY true to the time period. Though the film was about the pianist Szpilman, the film also included things that happened to Polanski as a child. He himself was a child living in the ghetto in Poland and all of his family except his father was killed in the camps.He actually went back to Poland to re-enact what he went through in his childhood, and relived that over again to make this film.

I have also seen Schindler's List. While I love that movie, it is in black and white and there is a lot of music in the background. This film on the other hand is in color, and there are long periods where there is no background music. For example, when the Germans are approaching his apartment, you hear the cars pulling up, then footsteps up the stairs followed by harsh German voices.While this was happening, there was no background music, and no softness added. Just pure reality of what happened. This brought me back to the time period, and made me feel petrified like a soldier was gonna hunt me down. That was how real the film was.While I was watching the film, so many things went through my brain. This was fairly recent in history. There are still people alive that survived. And this happened in "civilized countries". And another thing, this is rings close to home. All of my mothers side lives in Austria, and is Catholic. My grandmother was just a scared little girl when this happened. My fathers side of the family immigrated here before the war, and they were Jewish people from Russia that spoke Yiddish. My grandmother rarely will EVER talk about the war or what happened.But I do know that she never wastes food and always makes sure that I am fed. Most people that live here in the US today are so lucky.We have the freedoms to be who we are and express ourselves in any way that we want. Thats why my mom came here and became an American citizen. Many people that live here love to criticize our country and talk about things that are wrong with it. But this country is not perfect and never will be. Every nation has its dirty laundry and we are no exception. But compared to many other countries, we are doing pretty damn good and can enjoy many freedoms. One of these days we may not have these freedoms. That is all I have to say.

No comments: