Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Friday, December 5, 2008

School Drama

Hello There My Lovelies.......

I am really tired. Yesterday I had some drama at school. You know, school was the one thing that I felt I was in total control of. It was the one thing that I love and that is fun with people that want to learn and no drama. Boy was I wrong. Yesterday was the last day of class, and just when I was about to think that I was thankful for the wonderful stress-free quarter........ Two things happen.

1.) My teacher who assigned us a huge project in my Family Law class was being sarcastic and rude to us. For the project we are doing a divorce for a couple with no children. We have a huge project, he didn't cover all the bases, and when we all asked him questions he answered almost all of our questions in a sarcastic tone. It was really rude, and I was actually pissed off, which is very rare. It's a huge portion of our grade, we have no text book to consult, and he won't let us talk to our classmates. I can't even ask my classmate next to me without the teacher getting his shorts in a twist.

So frustrating, and I really hate it when he is condescending and treating us all like we're stupid. I am not a fucking lawyer, and of course this is difficult. His response to most of our questions was " Figure it out" or "Use your brain." The problem with that is knowing him, he is a picky grader and will grade harsh.

2.) I made friends with a girl next to me. We recently have gotten to know each other and I invited her out a couple of times to study. She and the teacher are best buds. Normally I wouldn't care. But I recently found out that the teacher started asking her opinions about me. I friggin' hate that. I don't want to be talked about outside of the classroom. He mentioned to her that he was suspicious about my project and that he would scrutinize it, because he saw me talking to another classmate next to me about the project. What the hell is he talking to my classmate about me for ? She is my classmate, a peer, not his aide. I don't care if they are friends, but leave me out of it.

I marched my ass straight to his office after class and made it clear that I don't cheat, I do my own work, and that I am a better student than that. We worked it out, but I hate having to defend myself like that. I like the law too much to cheat. I am stubborn and have my own ideas and line of reasoning and don't feel a need to cheat.

Another thing that pissed me off is that he was thinking about forming a Family Law clinic. I was interested and talked to the teacher about it. For some reason, my teacher asked this chick who I thought was my friend, what she thought about me in volunteering in the clinic. Was she a friend and giving me a recommendation ? Hell no, because that would be the nice, friendly thing to do. Instead, she had the balls to tell my teacher that she had "concerns" about me. Apparently she didn't think that I have enough life experience to go into it. She felt that I would need some easing into. Because there are heavy subject matters such as divorce or possible domestic violence.

She doesn't know me. I think I am perfectly capable in dealing with matters in family law. I know that I am not as old as she (in her fifties) and that I am not full of wisdom. But, I have volunteered in immigration law where the subject matter was worse because I was dealing with immigrant women that were beaten, threatened and whose children were in many cases victimized by the bastards that harmed them. It was difficult subject matter to deal with it, but I handled it, and I did a good job. The attorneys I volunteered for were happy with me, and said that they would give me a good reference. I may not be the ultimate pearl of wisdom, but I do have a heart and a desire to learn about the law and help defend people who are defenseless and have no where to go. And that is really all you need to volunteer in my opinion.

Did my "friend" know about this ? No, because she didn't get to know me that well. Because I didn't feel the need to talk about it. Because I never thought she would actually talk about my "abilities" to my teacher without getting the whole picture. Why is my teacher consulting her ? Why does he think she knows me, when we've only been "friends" for less than a month.

It really got under my skin for her to think that I am not strong enough and that I would need hand holding. I don't even care if she had good intentions, that was so not cool. I am still pissed.

She got upset at me for not understanding her "good intentions." She got so mad when I kept talking to her about it that she yelled at me to back off. I was telling her that she didn't know me and my abilities and she was offended that I couldn't see that she was trying to "help" me.

Why did she feel the need to step in like that ? Aren't classmates supposed to help each other out ? I like to help my classmates and bond over the class. I've volunteered for a couple of places and gotten to know a few people. I gladly recommend my classmates to my former supervisors there. To be honest, sometimes I have my doubts about some of the classmates. But I don't voice them, because it's volunteer work and everyone has the right to volunteer, and besides, I really don't know their work ethic or what they're capable of. And most of all, it's not my place to day anything anyway. The economy is shitty, we all need all the legal experience we can get, so we should be helping each other out.

But the good news is that my final is next week, and then I only have a couple of more months to go before I am out of there for good with my certificate. Then I can venture out into the professional world. I know that there will be vicious/catty people out there too, moreso than my class, but at least I will be bringing home a better paycheck at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Myra said...

Trust no one is a rule I try to abide by, especially at work. Once you show your vulnerability, people are out for themselves. I think it it unethical that the teacher is consulting another student about you, and he thinks its power over you (which in a way it is). Hang in there...