Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

More Photos of My Austrian Stay

Hello Again My lovelies,

Today was another nice day in the city. My aunt and Uncle live in Thalheim, but nearest city is Wels, and I have been walking there a lot. I decided to take some pics of Wels, which of course you can see.

After I woke up I met my aunt at a little Austrian restaurant for lunch where I had fried chicken and potato salad. Of course there is a special German name for it, but I can't seem to remember it for the life of me. I was told that it was a typical modern Austrian dish. It was so filling. Yum. I am still full. Even though my stomach was about to pop at the seams, I still got ice cream afterwards. Hazelnutt ice cream to be exact. It was good :)

I also took a nice stroll to the local museum of Wels, which I haven't visited in over 12 years. It changed so much and they now charge for admission. Since it was all in German I couldn't understand a lot of it, but enough to enjoy it. Basically there were exhibits of what the city of Wels was like when the city was founded, and how people lived throughout various times such as before and after WWI and WWII.

There were pictures of the Nazi invasion and announcements of Herman Goering visiting the city to speak. I thought it was interesting that there was nothing about the Holocaust. In the US, people talk about it and there is a lot of education about it. Here in Austria the subject is kinda hidden. My aunt also told me that there are strict laws against praising Hitler in public. I think people can spend up to 20 years in jail for praising Hitler in public.

The most interesting thing that I saw was pictures of bombings. The very street that I used to live on with my aunt was bombed during the war. Another interesting exhibit was the typical Austrian house in the city and in the country. My grandma has a house in the country and it is very similar to that of the exhibit.

After the museum, I sat in a church and did some thinking. It was relaxing and pretty empty. I also read my book for my TEFL class. Overall it was a very lazy day, but what else is new.

Photos #1-3: Photos of Wels today                                                                         

Photos #4-5: Photos of Wels in the late 1800's (I think)                                          

Photos #6-7: Photos of the exhibit of a typical Austrian house back in the day          

Photo  #8    : Photo taken in a church.

 

No comments: