Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, June 7, 2005

Edelweiss, Edelweiss.............

Hello My Lovelies............... ( As Fez would say)

The weather here is so depressing. It´s June and I am cold !!!  It´s also cloudy, rainy, windy......... That´s not right.

I just came from Barcelona last week. I was sweating like a pig there and starting to wear my little tops. And now I am back to sweaters and shivering. The first three days here in Austria were beautiful. Now it´s awful.

Anyways, I spent the weekend in the alps with my grandma.  A couple weeks out of the year she stays in a hut and serves hikers food as a volunteer in the Mountain Club. Bergsportklub, as we would say in German.

I got to go with her this time and I served food and helped with the dishes and talked to our guests. Thank God I didn´t have to help woth the cooking. I am a horrible cook.

 My grandma, or Oma as we say in German, doesn´t speak English. So I got to brush up on my German. She always scolds me if she finds out that I am not practicing mein Deutsch. When I told her that I was in Barcelona and learning Spanish, she scolded me for not learning German. " Nein, Sandra ! Dein Deutsch !!"

I like having a grandma that doesn´t speak English. I think it´s rather cool if you ask me. Even though I am not very fluent in German, I always end up understanding her. All of my mother´s side of the family is here so I like to come and visit whenever I get a chance. 

Anyways I got to eat lots of good Austrian food and good Austrian cake. I also read a lot because it weas rainy and there was nothing else to do. I also played Solitaire for hours with the spare deck of cards. I also taught one of the guys how to play so he wouldn´t be so bored.

When I left to go to the train station my grandma loaded me up on chocolate and candy. She always feeds me. I ate so much chocolate on the train. And it was sooooo fingerlicking good.

And let me tell you about the train. I absolutely love taking the train throughout Europe. I used to take the train in Spain too. Gorgeous view, or sometimes you get to chat with your neighbor.

Today I took a train to Linz. I was going to the art museum, but when I got there it was closed. So I went to the Schloss Museum and decided to learn about post war history of Upper Austria. Very educational. It was all in German, and it was so hard to understand most things. But I managed through some of it.

They also had an exhibit of Austrian life during the postwar years of 1945-1955. There were exhibits of typical furnitures, kitchens, advertisements................. The kitchen they had on display is similar to my grandma´s kitchen.

Anyways, enough for now. I am gonna go and think about where I am gonna go tommorow. I would like to sneak out and go to Italy or Holland while I am still here in Europe, but I know I can´t because I am broke.

Ciao for now.

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you sound like you have such a wonderful life, cold or not, must of us are sweating.  I have always wanted to take a train ride somewhere, your train rides sound so delightful.  Congratulations on being chosed one of the picks of the week.

Marlene-PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/PurelyPoetry
http://journals.aol.com/mkolasa101/SweetNSimple

Anonymous said...

You have a great story. You should someway think of a way to get make money, think of one of your greatest talents! Then show it off! I think you could make it around the world! Kepp on beliving in your self and you can do it!

Anonymous said...

wow i just joined AOL and i think its so cool how you're traveling to all of these places.

Anonymous said...

wow, ur trip sounds amazing. i went to austria and paris 2 years ago. isnt austria just pretty?

Anonymous said...

my moms side od the family is German and i wish i was fluent. my husband speaks it along with 5 other languages.

Charmaine