Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Thursday, June 9, 2005

I went to the Czech Republic !!!!!!

Hello Everyone,

Today I took a little day trip to the Czech republic. I went to Budweis, where Budweiser originated. I won´t go into any details, but I am sure that most of you know that there are 2 different beers with the same name, Budweiser, and there was a long legal debate over the whole thing. Anyways, this is where both beers originated.

The train ride was about 2-3 hours long, and the whole thing costed about 35 Euros round trip. I was happy just to get out of Austria for a day. I even got my passport stamped. I am sick of seeing the plain old EU stamp. And today I got a Czech stamp. Anyways, traveling there was like going back in time 50 years. After I got off the train I noticed the change. For starters, I had to change my money. Even though the Czech Republic joined the EU last year, you can bet it´ll take a while for changes to be seen.

The language was also completely foreign to me. I couldn´t understand one single word of Czech. I wouldn´t even know how to pronounce the words with all the accents. Luckily some people spoke German. 

The buildings. Don´t even get me started. Everything is old and falling apart. In Austria everything is clean, orderly and repainted. And with a trainride of 2 hours, buildings are falling apart. The CR used to be a communist country up until 13 years ago. It is so obvious.

Everything is so much cheaper there. I bought some really cute clothes.

Everything closes at around 7pm. Then after that I feel like the whole city shut down. No one was really on the streets after that. It was wierd. I was looking for a place to eat, but I gave up in the end. I couldn´t even understand the menus and I didn´t have the energy to a.) find a waiter that spoke english b.)listen to all the explanations. Plus I didn´t have enough money for a restaurant because I spent it all on clothes. So......I ended up going to McDonalds instead.

I didn´t see much. But I did see the Black Leather Tower (if I am correct with the name) I also visited a couple of cathedrals and did a lot of walking around. I took lots of pictures. As usual, the weather was crappy today. Very cloudy and cold. But I did the best I could with what I had.

I was happy to go back to Austria to cleanliness and orderliness. I had a nice afternoon. I really felt like I went back in time to the postwar era. Haha. The US is so modern and new and fast paced. This country is slower paced with a strong culture. I wouldn´t mind coming back for a vacation. I did a little daydreaming there and imagined myself staying for the summer. However, I couldn´t imagine living there longer. I think I would get bored and fed up.

I am thinking about joining the Peace Corps. There are 71 different countries to chose from and I am heavily thinking about going somewhere in Eastern Europe. And visiting the CR today makes me consider it even more.

My mother´s side is all in Austria (close to the Eastern Block). And my great grandparents on my dad´s side were Russians (in the Eastern block). I feel like it is part of family history one way or another. I don´t know what I will do. It´s all up in the air.

Ciao.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was there while it was still communist.  It was dirty then.  Met the Guru of Afganistan was able to draw pictures that he understood but he did not speak the Arabic I learned in Egypt during the War.  We went on a trip and one of the stops was Lidice.  That was a town of some 800 people that were all slaughtered because the Nazi Director was assassinate.  There were three babies with blue eyes that were salvaged. I have often wondered where they are today. Anyway when I tried to explain Lidice to the Guru, he did not recognize the swastika. It was curious.  I taught him to lay ten, and he understood.  He got my wife and daughter to try one of springs at Karlsbad which is sulfuric to the limit and when they reacted, we layed ten.  It was quite an experience meeting him.  The clock in Praha is cuter than the one in Munich.   Larry

Anonymous said...

You sure live an exciting life and I enjoy reading about it. Thanx D

Anonymous said...

Salut

I would love to go there. As for the peace corp you should do it. a co worker of mine did and she did 2 years teaching English to kids in the Republic of Georgia. she loved it but was rough at times.


Ciao
Charmaine