Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Wednesday, June 8, 2005

We Must Never Forget What Hate Can do..............

Hello,

Today I visited Mauthausen, a concentration camp here in Austria. I won´t go into graphic details. I took lots and lots of pictures, but I won´t post them either.

Mauthausen, the town, is small and beautiful. Everything seems rather old there. The train there was old, and the trainstation was oldschool. After getting to the trainstation, I took a taxi to the camp. After driving through the nice little hills, the camp pops up out of nowhere.

Many buildings aren´t there anymore, but I guess the most important ones are. After the main entrance area, Just a couple of the barracks, the old laundry building and the gas chambers. There was also a new memorial museum with personal belongings and testimonies.

The weather was awful today. There weren´t many people there so sometimes I was all by myself. Being alone in the torture chambers was eerie.

Being there was intense. I went to the gas chambers and the rooms where people were tortured. And the intensity in that room is so thick you could cut it with a knife. I can´t see ghosts or energy, but I sure felt it. Just to stand there and know that people were brutally murdered in the same room was awful. And although 60 years have passed I could still smell the stench of death.

Seeing all that brought to life all the things I read about the holocaust in school. I also walked back to the area outside where people had to carry heavy stones.

I was, and sill am at a loss for words. I couldn´t cry. All I could do was take as much of it in as I could because I never am going back there again.

This is what hate does. Everything in that camp was systematic. This hateful acts were carried out systematically and with accuracy. All this energy of building the camp and conducting experiments was done to kill. It boggles my mind. Records were kept, there were lists of names and people were given numbers. Did you know that around the barracks flowers were planted ?

One thing that was nice was the memorials. There were so many memorials from so many different countries. All these different countries came together to show support and vow that people don´t forget. There were also so many pictures. In the gas chambers, outside, on walls........ People came back after all these years and put up flowers and pictures of loved ones they lost at the camp.

Although there is no more holocaust in Europe, there is still a lot of hate in other countries. Unfortunately history is being repeated. The world definitely needs more tolerance. We don´t even have to like each other. Just accept that we all have our differences and leave the other person alone.

Anyways, tommorow the weather should be sunny, so I am going to do something fun. I may go to the salt mines. Or I may take a train to the Czech Republic. Who knows.

Ciao.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I don't know if I could go there. I can't even watch movies about that stuff. I am a big cry baby when it comes to true stories. My hubby loves history and wants to visit other countries like that some day. Thanx for sharing. Really makes you appreciate life doesn't it??? D

Anonymous said...

I just read a book on concentration camps. It was a book called "The Diary of Anne Frank". Myself i thought the book was really good. I like to read up on history. But it amazes me that the concentration camps are still around.  

Anonymous said...

History has taught us that mankind is capable of many wonderful things in life, but it also shows what evil mankind is capable of.  It makes you think how precious life is.  Enjoy your wonderful adventures and thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the concentration camps...You seem to have a knack at writing...I found what you had to say extremely interesting for many reasons...and ironically I just finished a book today that I've been reading called, " Darkness of Denmark" .....Reading what you had to say just enhanced what I've read and what I know about the Holocaust and the senseless killings...I've always been interested in this, and your experience there just added to it....Thank you again for sharing...Enjoy your time away and be safe.

Hunny

Anonymous said...

I feel for the people that went thru that camp and the others just like it. deep down in my heart i feel as though in a previous life i was in one. crazy right but i was always fascinated by them camps. It might be because I have German ancestory also. who knows. it is all a shame and no human should have to go thru that.

Charmaine