Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Weekend is Finally Here..............

Hello My Little Little Calling Birds.....................

Thank God that it's the weekend. I've been sick and exhausted lately, and I will finally be able to sleep in tomorrow.........

This morning I had to be up early for our all day annual paralegal meeting at my local organization. I am so glad I went. I've been feeling discouraged in this job market, especially since I've been on a good amount of interviews and still am waiting for that first job in my career.

But I saw the very first recruiter I met a couple of years ago when I first went back to school. That was when I had no idea what a paralegal really does and how the legal world works. She sent me on an interview a couple of days later to an IP law firm for an interview in the mail room. I was so close to getting hired, but in the end it didn't happen. Looking back, that was a blessing, the rejection motivated me to devote all my free time to my classes and volunteering, where I've met a lot of great people. Had I been hired, I would've been too busy commuting and working with less time to study, working in a mail room with people I didn't even really like.

Since then I've graduated with good grades, volunteered for a couple of places and built up my resume. She said that my resume looks great, and that I should keep doing what I am doing and keep in contact with her.

At first, even though I had a four year degree, except for a couple of nice placement agencies, I either got ignored or laughed at by other recruiters. Now I am on the same playing field as everyone else.

I know this doesn't seem like a big deal to most, but after graduating from college with my business degree I really thought that I was going to have a better job with a good salary. But that didn't happen, especially since I never even really liked what I got my degree in. It made me kinda miserable, and in interviews I just couldn't feel confident and sell myself.

It took a while, but I finally realized that if I wanted to be happy, I would need to go back to school in something I actually liked. I kind of stumbled on the profession accidentally, but I am glad I finally found what makes my mind tick. It took a while just to find out what I really like.

At the meeting today I caught up with old classmates and got to listen to the speakers. We had some excellent speakers. Basically, a refresher of my courses.

Since I got out of school this past spring, I feel like I've been forgetting concepts and it's a constant struggle just to keep my mind sharp.

So today was a nice day to catch up with my friends, get some free stuff, eat lunch and hopefully get a job.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Good for you. Yeah I hear that the law field is really hard now a days. Keep at it.

Mutti said...

You go girl!
(Leider weiss ich nicht wie man das am besten auf Deutsch sagt....)

Ich bin stolz auf Dich dass Du so fleissig bist!

The Girl With The Mousy Hair said...

It's hard to get a job you love. Good luck with finding your way.