Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Happy Ending







1.) Ashleigh
2.) My mother and brother
3.) My teacher for half of my classes, also the director of our program, an attorney and a temporary judge.


Hello There My Lovelies,
Over the weekend, I went to my graduation ceremony. I already got my certificate in the mail last month, but I wanted to go and see my teacher. Of our whole department, only three of my classmates showed up for graduation.
The graduation ceremony took place on the football field, in 90 something degree weather. Seriously, it was hotter than Satan's asscrack out there. Luckily I could hide out under my cap. I was also wearing sunscreen.
Honestly, I didn't care about our speakers. I wasn't really paying attention, rather I was texting my mom and friend who were out in the crowd. I was also talking to my old classmates next to me.
We had an author who I heard was real good for the speaker. Unfortunately, his speech didn't reflect that. He was talking about how we're the future, blah blah blah. I heard that in junior high, high school, as well as my undergrad degree. I tuned him out.
There was also a presentation for a guy who got a full-ride scholarship to UC Berkeley. He was talking about how he was born in a truck, and came into this country illegally, and didn't want to be a stereotype. Funny thing was, he wasn't reading his own speech. The presenter was reading it.
Basically this guy was announcing his illegal status in this country on the football field. I was like, WTF ??? And then he says in his speech he doesn't want us to view him as another stereotype ? I can understand young people dragged here by their parents into this country, and the need for an education. Do what you have to to survive.
But he had at least 15 years to work on getting his situation ironed out. He could have his documents by now. And then to stand up there and announce that you're illegal and basically say "look at me, I got a full ride to UC Berkeley "? That is the epitome of the stereotype, of not wanting to accept our culture. Thats like giving us the finger and saying that he doesn't have to integrate himself or do it the legal way to make it. Carlos Mencia said it best: It's like coming into my house, taking a dump on the living room floor, and then asking me what is for dinner.
I understand he worked hard, and it didn't come easy, especially growing up in a gang-infested area. It's hard. He found someone to sponsor his education, that's great. It's someone else's money, not the taxpayers. What I don't like is that he has to stand up there, say he's not here legally and expect us to fawn all over him and embrace that. I am not anymore sympathetic to him than I am to anyone else. Especially since he had all these years to get integrated into this country and become an American citizen. So no, I didn't clap for him. When I lived abroad, I did whatever I could to integrate myself into the culture I was in. And I would do it again. Also, my mother immigrated here. And most of my coworkers did the same and got their papers in order. My coworker recently became a citizen.
Anyway, after the ceremony, I hunted down my teacher and took pictures with him. He has been a huge part in my education. He was hard on us and made us bust our asses for our grades. He encouraged us to go to law school. He answered any legal questions we had. He took us on field trips. He is heading a volunteer program for low income people who need a dissolution of marriage. I got As in all of his classes, and I felt challenged, because he kept it interesting. We had no text books in his class, and I still have his notes.
The most valuable thing I learned in his class was how to stand up for myself. Especially in a marriage. What is reasonable and what is not.
After his class, I realized that marriage is just more than a "piece of paper". It's a legal contract and the biggest commitment you can make to someone. With that comes many legal benefits. And I wouldn't want to live my life with a man that isn't willing to make that commitment to me.
Ladies, if you truly want to get married, make sure you find a man that truly wants to marry you. None of that "why is it so important ? It's just a piece of paper business". If you meet a man like that who doesn't believe in marriage, let him go. He will find someone else. Find that man who is happy to commit to you.
Anyway, my teacher was happy to see me there and I gave him a hug for the first time. He met my mom and told her that she has a wonderful daughter and that he primarily came to see me. It was really an emotional moment for me, since I really put a lot into my studies and his classes.
It's sad that this is all over. I still am volunteering in my teacher's organization, but I think this is the end of my education for a while. I hope to remain in contact with him.
I may consider law school in the future. But not in this economy with no money. I am not the first in my family to take an interest in the legal field. My aunt in Austria is a judge, as well as my cousin who is practicing in the court in Salzburg. My other cousin here in the US recently graduated from law school.
We shall see what the future holds for me.

6 comments:

headbitingprincess said...

beautiful pics !!!!

PorkStar said...

very nice pics chica... and glad to hear this man was a big part in your education and you will always look up to him for what he imparted to you and that's probably the best gift a teacher could get.

Cheers to you!

Mike said...

Your mom looks different than I pictured. Congrats on finally having graduation.

Yes marriage is more than a piece of paper. It give a lot of legal protection that most people take for granted.

Angela said...

Thanks for posting this! Loved the pictures, and it was wonderful to see you graduate, and meet your teacher, and, sniff sniff, to hear your teacher say he came just for you.
I enjoyed every minute of it, even the bad speeches, and didn't mind the blasting heat. Some things are just worth it....

love, Mom

LYN said...

CONGRATS AND WOW YOU ARE A BEAUTY!!!!

Anonymous said...

You're right, not smart on that guys part. But even worse, you quoted carlos mencia.