Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rakkasah

Hello There My Lovelies,

As you know, I live in the Bay Area here in CA. Every year, there is a huge bellydance festival called Rakkasah West. It is the biggest bellydance festival in the country, maybe even the world. There are three parts to this festival:

1.) Workshops
2.) Vendors
3.) Dancers

People from all over the world fly down here, because there is money to be made. The workshops last all week. Well known performers give workshops, and vendors from everywhere fly in. You can buy some real elaborate costumes there. I stick to accessories and music, as I notice that a lot of the stuff sold there is overpriced.

And then there are the dancers............ people like me can sign up to perform. It doesn't matter how much or little experience you have, if you sign up you can get it. I've seen my teachers perform, and then I've seen absolute beginners. And people do get creative with their music and costume choices.

The only problem with getting on the list is calling in. Hundreds of people are calling in on just one phone line, and the wait is totally unbearable. A couple of years ago I spent 7 hours total hitting the speed dial until I got in. It was torture. I didn't perform last year, partly because of the unbearable wait, but I decided to do it this year.

Today was the call-in date for this year's Rakkasah and I decided that I wasn't going to spend 7 hours non stop. I just spent a couple of hours trying here and there throughout the day. And I was shocked that I got it at around 3:45pm. There are many people that never get in.

I will be dancing Friday, March 13th at 8:24pm under my stage name, Amira. I've performed twice before. In 2006 I danced with my troupe with the sword, and my piece was very short. In 2007 I did my solo with the sword. This year, I am not sure yet. I think that I will dance with the sword. But I have 3 months, so I am really not in a rush. I am doing this for the love of the dance, to meet other dancers, and to have a good time.

I remember when I danced in 2007. It was the first time that I did my sword dance under my new stage name in front of a crowd. I was so nervous. I remember practicing
before they called my name, because I was afraid the sword would fall in the middle of my routine. There was a nice, pretty lady in pink practicing her stuff too. We ended up talking before and she calmed me down. She stayed to watch me dance, and I did the same for her. When I danced, the sword didn't fall down, although my hand jewelry did.

Anywho, so that is all for now. Time to go and look for a survey.........

1 comment:

Myra said...

Dance, and the love for it, is such a powerful demonstration of love...for yourself, others (as in performing). The resort where I work, we offer many types of dance classes, belly dance is but one - all are very popular for all ages. Heck we even have a "strip fit" class that teaches strip tease moves; you'd be surprised at the type of people who participate! Dance is expressive...