Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My witty banter

Hello There My Lovelies,

It is sooooooo hot around here. It makes me feel exhausted. I think the weather today was probably around 100 degrees. I am so lucky I have AC at home and in my car. While I was in college, I remember driving this broke-down 1990 Chevy Corsica with a busted AC. It would've costed me $500 to replace the AC and my car was worth less than $2,000 so there was no way I was going to throw a wad of cash like that, regardless of the heat outside. It was so hot that summer, but I sucked it up like a champ and dealt with it.

Other than that, I've been eyeing all the purses the ladies at work carry. I was thinking about buying a Coach bag sometime (when I have more $ of course). But as I look around at work, it seems like all the ladies have a Coach bag. I went to the store, and I keep seeing Coach Coach Coach. I don't want to be like everyone else.

Last but definitely not least, I got to talk to my grandmother today. My grandparents are the most special to me, especially my grandmother. It is my grandmothers on both sides who have been my role models of the type of woman I hope to become. Don't get me wrong, I love my grandpa too. It's just that my grandmas have been the perfect type of female role model for me growing up.

Things I've admired:

1.) Both were strong willed women that believed in equality between the sexes. My paternal grandma was part of the original women's movement with Betty Friedan. She decided to leave when it was taken over by extremists/male bashers. In their time they weren't afraid to go to work and earn a living.

2.) They believed in community service. I really took that to heart. They served the homeless, the mentally ill, soldiers, and the elderly. I really believe that those of us that are able to give back, should give back. Especially since you never know when you will end up needing help.

3.) They are both sweet as can be, but aren't easily taken advantage of. They were very business smart. They knew how to manage their finances. My paternal grandma played the stock market when it was better, of course. Women have a bad reputation of not being as business savy as men. It's a generalization that I don't like but both grandmas in my family could be housewives or businesswomen.

4.) They both met the loves of their lives and while they both lost their husbands, they were able to pick up and keep going and met wonderful men after. My grandma and grandpa now still act like they're on their honeymoon and truly treasure eachother. They feel like it's a pleasure to be around each other.

When my Austrian grandma passed away I was given a jewelry set that my grandpa saved up to buy for her: A smoky topaz ring and necklace. I don't care how poor or hungry I get. That is something I wouldn't dream of giving up.

I look at relationships today, and think many people miss out on what's truly important. I also see women commanding less respect from men, and men aren't being as chivalrous because women have accepted that. I remember going out with a guy 3 years ago on our first. He bought me lunch, ice cream and drove me around the city. Then he expected me to put out, and when I didn't let him he tried to make me feel guilty. All of a sudden, I wasn't grateful, and I wasn't "wild" enough, lol.

Some men are resentful of women that expect many dates with flowers before putting out. I hear it from my guy friends a lot "I don't mind paying as long as I know I am getting something out of it." or "I will wait a couple of months before I have sex, but I won't hang around for longer than that." What happened to men enjoying the company of a woman and paying for dinner ? I've heard a lot of men complain about how the woman he took out was just out for a free meal. I tend to find that very offensive, as a meal isn't usually very expensive. Women don't go out for free meals. At least most don't. I would rather eat alone and pay for my meal rather than have a free meal with a man who I don't want to go out with.

Just as women should be able to command respect and weed out men that aren't serious about them, men should be able to weed out women that are only there for money.

I don't believe in golddigging, but I do believe in chivalry, especially since I've heard many stories about the chivalrous gentlemen in my family.

5 comments:

LORENZO said...

To have known ones grandparents fully is one of the greatest gifts of growing up. I was raised by my grandparents and that's why I made it through so much crap. Thanks for sharing. You should save this entry for your children one day.

SweetAngelAsh17 said...

AMEN sista! I think so many guys believe that as soon as they put forth the money, they are buying pussy. EEEEH, wrong! However so many women succumb to that and think it's acceptable for a man to be "rewarded". It's another form of prostitution in my eyes.

Steve Harvey says a man cares about 3 things - support, loyalty, and "the cookie"; however a man will not seek these things with a woman that gives "the cookie" away after a couple nice dinners. Women have lowered their standards and allowed men to treat them in such a way due to a lack of standards. A man will jump through lots of hoops if he believes a girl is The One.

And yes, my boyfriend respects my standards and takes me out to nice dinners :) Also he holds my hand in public and that's pretty priceless!

Myra said...

My parents have been married for over 51 years, and all of us kids have been divorced. The second go round has been better for each of us. Glen and I hold hands all the time...even when we are watching TV!

Big Mark 243 said...

It must be spring ... everyone is talking about relationships and stuff like that ..!

For some reason I think you are in California, and as I mentioned to someone from Arizona, I think it is redudant to say, "It's Hot." Of course it's hot!!! You are out west, it is SUPPOSED to be hot! LOL

As far as guys being essentially, 'slack', a lot of that has to do with a lack of civility, period.

One of the things I have observed, is that women sort of set the bar low, and can be manipulated by 'shiny things'. Even when they are being particular about their
potential partners, they fall back into poor habits.

Not that I, or any other cat is any better, but I don't date men (anymore,LOL ... just a joke!) I know I have been a crap cat myself, and no excuse for that. Yet, even now, I find women still play themselves out. And they make it hard, because they keep the bar low.

Jimmy's Journal said...

Fear not, my love, chivalry is not dead. The problem with most men is that they pay more attention to what they hear and less attention to what they see.

Fortunately, that just makes things easier for me. While the neanderthals are busy getting tattoos and earings, I find that dinner for two at a nice reastaurant works nicely and is a good start to an enjoyable evening..

People who go out expecting something in return are soon schooled.

Jimmy