Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Friday, April 3, 2009

So sad.

Hello There My Lovelies,

I got no sleep last night. I have never successfully stayed up for 24 hours in a row before.

Last night as I was on my way home I witnessed a horrible car accident in front of me in the intersection while I was waiting at the red light, to take a left turn. The intersection was huge, and all I remember seeing was a small compact car get slammed by a Lexus SUV. I heard a crash, saw the glass fly and heard screams shortly after. I got out of my car, left my car in the intersection with the emergency lights flashing and called 911. Luckily while a couple of us bystanders were in the intersection, the other cars saw the mess and were understanding and gave us space.

I went over to the small car, and there was a man already standing there with the passenger who was leaning up against the wheel, who was definitely injured. The man was keeping her company and called 911. So I went over to the woman in the SUV who was was visibly shaken and couldn't stop crying. My goal wasn't really to calm her down, rather call 911 and make sure she was alive, breathing and not seriously injured. Luckily her husband came shortly after.

After the firemen arrived, I immediately left. I didn't need to be involved anymore, especially since I didn't pay attention to who ran which traffic light. I saw both cars when they crashed into each other.

I kept replaying the events in my head after I went home. It all happened so fast. You always think that other people will come to the rescue. But this time, I was sitting right in front of it, and sat there for a couple of seconds after not believing my eyes. I looked to my left and the man wasn't on the phone. There was a man running to the car, but the other woman was left unattended. So I ran up to her.

Looking back, I wish I could've talked to her more to calm her down or make her feel better. But I guess I don't feel too bad because the ambulance came real quick and she got the medical attention she needed. I am just glad that I actually stood up and did something about it. Until yesterday, I didn't know what I would've done in a situation like this. I would've had such a guilty conscience if I had simply driven away.

I think that the dispacher was real nice. I was a little flustered and she told me it was okay and kept assuring me that help was on the way.

As I drove back home, everything around me was quiet. Just 10 minutes earlier, it was chaotic. And on my way home at the gas station, it was real peaceful and quiet. It was awkward.

I also feel really lucky that I wasn't the one involved in the crash. It was mayhem. Luckily there was no blood, but the airbags deployed, the windshields were cracked and glass and bumpers were scattered all over the street.

Okay, time to talk about something else.

3 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

Never feel bad about what you do in a situation like that ... believe that at some point, it would have 'kicked in', and you would have done something appropriate. Drive safe YOURSELF.

Mike said...

I remember about 15 years ago I was waiting to turn and I watched a car lose control and flip over in front of me. I like several others ran over to help. It was a disorganized mess, but we got the job done. I was off for a few days after that.

It's not a normal situation and pushes the boundaries of our reality. We do our best, but we have no training or experience for it.

Anonymous said...

The couple of times I have witnessed accidents I've been amazed how people slow, gawk, and then move along. Uhm, help maybe?
Don't beat yourself up in the re-thinking-You went over to the cars, so many don't....to them it is a roadside show rather than a reality.

I replay events like that also, but you did what needed to be done.

As per your comment on my blog: I've met IRL many people who spent part of their childhoods in cults(or communes they felt functioned like cults) and I actually have thought that I didn't know anyone online like that, but then realized they might just NOT talk about it. I understood your comment about my past friend, and I am not upset with her, just was sad to hear how she felt. ~Mary