Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

What my blog has brought.........

Hello My Little Secret Squirrels,

As you know, I've had this blog for almost 6 years. I like to look back and re-read my entries. I've changed a lot over this period of time, from my taste in music, to my taste in men. Good thing I didn't get married a few years ago, lol.

What this blog has covered:

1.) Me in my last semester of college and working at Red Lobster as a server
2.) My college graduation
3.) My entire year in Barcelona
4.) Coming back to the US and readjusting to American life, finding a job, a place to live and a car
5.) Working at Enterprise Rent A Car (renting cars to the public yields stories)
6.) Going back to school for my AA degree in Paralegal Studies
8.) Moving, switching roommates
9.) My second graduation and my volunteer experiences
10.) Other important events such as my family from Austria visiting, my grandma's death, my grandpa's death
11.) My useless witty banter, being a survey whore, and translating personals ads when I feel feisty.


It's also interesting to look back and read things I almost forgot about. I started this after my high school friends all had one, and when AOL offered free blogs in 2003 to all their readers for free, I decided that I should give it a try. I even won the AOL Journal of the Week Award in 2005 while I was still traveling. AOL Journals shut down in October 2008, so I transferred here.

I found that a lot of older people were reading my blog when I wrote about my travels. They told me they liked living vicariously through my entries. My most memorable experience was when I wrote about my trip to Mauthausen, a concentration camp in Austria. Only a few people commented, but what they said touched me. For them to feel like they were there with me meant a lot. The link is below and you can copy and paste it to read it.

http://frauleinsenorita.blogspot.com/2005/06/we-must-never-forget-what-hate-can-do.html

Through this blog, I have had a lot of people come and go. Some people read for a while, and disappear. A couple of readers lost their battle to cancer, which was really sad. Some people just stop by and comment once or twice. Some people lurk and I never get the chance to know them. But either way, whether I have zero readers or a million, I still keep writing. What I think is insignificant today, could entertain me or make me think in the future then I look back and reread my entries. I remember I wrote about how depressed I was feeling around 2004. A couple of years later, I got a comment, by a girl that felt depressed, typed in "feeling depressed" in a search engine and found my blog.

I have met two people in person off this blog. My friend Henry from NYC, and David, who writes the blog Dadshouse. Both great people. I've managed to stay in touch with Henry for about 4 years now, and he is a true friend and gentleman.

Anyways, for those of you who have blogs, I hope it brings you many more enriching experiences.

5 comments:

Diva's Thoughts said...

I've been blogging for a couple years now. I love the responses I get from my readers. They actually propel me to keep this going. I love reading back over old posts and seeing where I was in my life at that time.

I plan to keep blogging for as long as I can. I have some adventures coming up that will surely keep me writing.

MindyMom said...

Yes, blogging can be very rewarding and for that reason I'll most likely keep writing too.

I wish I'd have known you were also in the Bay Area! As you know I was jsut there and met several bloggers and would have loved to meet you as well. I'm sure I'll be back again someday, as much as I love that city.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea you've been at this for sooooo long! It must be amazing to re-read ancient posts and re-live old memories. I really enjoy reading your comments on other blogs - you always have a very unique perspective and often bring up points that would have never crossed my idle mind. Keep at it - your blog is amazing!

Frequent Traveler said...

Blogging has been a great help for me, and an interesting source of friendship - some who have really helped change my life with their insights, some I've enjoyed meeting for lunch or afternoon tea when I've visited the cities where they live, some who have hurt my feelings and dropped me from their links or no longer wanted me as a cyber friend - it's a microcosm of real life !
I should have always kept the same blog address instead of having several different ones. The changes would have been fascinating (at least to me) but I'd get embarrassed and delete stuff !
The link list is ever-shifting, depending on the main topic or blog theme...

Angela said...

I love reading your blog - it keeps me up to date what's happening in your life, and its much better than any TV show! I hardly ever watch, but I read your blog religiously. Great writing work!