Protected by Copyscape DMCA Takedown Notice Violation Search

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Huh ?

Hello There Again My Lovelies,

You know how in the fashion world, fashion designers talk about their collection ? For example, Dior has ad campaigns for the Summer 2009 Collection.

Recently the term "collection" has translated into normal advertising. Previously, I would see the term "collection" really only used in high end fashion, cosmetics and furniture. Starting around last year, people in advertising seem to be overusing the term.

Now I see it used in advertisements for Walmart furniture for a "summer collection". Recently I was watching ad on TV for Secret Deodorants and body sprays. They were defined as the "fine fragrance collection" which could be found in the "deodorant aisle".

LOL, deodorant aisle, like there is just one aisle for special deodorants. There is no such thing. Basically, they're in an aisle with other hygiene products.

Apparently even Glade has it's own "collection". Seriously, WTF ???

Look, I shop at Walmart and Target. I don't have a lot of money, and I am fine with that. But don't be using all these high-end terms on me to try and make me feel good for buying REGULAR products such as deodorant or air fresheners at a cheaper store. I feel good for saving money, but don't try to make me feel like I am buying something high-end. Once I start buying haute couture dress, then I will feel like I've bought something "high-end".

I know that this is so miniscule, maybe a few of you probably think I may be a little crazy. But marketing was what I majored in, in college. Since I've taken marketing and branding classes, watching advertisements has never been the same for me since.

2 comments:

Big Mark 243 said...

Good you caught on to how they are using words to manipulate your opinion. In advertising, it is always about making the customer seem like they are getting more for what they pay for.

You may be too young to remember, but Ford used to advertise the Granada as a car you'd mistake as a Benz ... now, imagine that!!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed this in the past, way too much. I recently read an ad for tantalizing toothpaste(ha, in itself), & the next ad was a "collection" of mouthwashes. It did feel couture. ~Mary